Thursday, April 23, 2015

Truman Made Me A New (Wo)man

So the Truman Show has really taken a toll in consuming my thoughts... Yes this is a super in depth thing to just casually stumble upon but luckily I am a long distance runner and have PLENTY of time to myself to think.

For starters I thought the movie was genius and I am so ashamed of myself for not seeing or even hearing of it sooner. The first day we watched it I walked to practice thinking about how weird living as Truman would be and what if that was my life right now. I realized if my life was a tv show it would be a terrible sitcom with a broken laugh track that would never take off so I know I'm definitely in the clear there.

In one of my other classes we discussed the whole "mapping your own reality" idea and we watched an episode from star trek where the lead guy (obviously not a fan I don't know the characters on a first name basis) was knocked out but his mind was in a different world where he was married and well known in a town. He knew it was fake but then felt as if he was there for decades so he had to rewire his idea of reality to this new world and start a family in this community. He had a kid and that kid grew up went to college blah blah. Then he was saved and realized only a few minutes really only passed and he was forced to remap his reality back but decided not to share his new world and just keep the memories.

We also went into detail with Plato's allegory of the cave and I thought it was so interesting and I have the PERFECT image of what this cave would look like, where the fire would be, and those stairs. I couldn't imagine trying to change my view of reality so dramatically but kind of wish I would wake up and realize I'm still 8 years old and that everything I've lived up until now was all a dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment