Thursday, February 12, 2015

Muslim Lives Matter!

I am still shocked to see how little attention this tragedy is receiving, 3 Muslim students murdered by a white male which hints towards an obvious hate crime that the media will never admit.

Razan Mohammed Abu-Salha, 19, Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23 and wife Yusor Mohammed, 21 were all shot by Craig Stephen Hicks, 45 over a "parking dispute" near the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. All three were shot in the head and the family of the victims said this wasn't the first time he threatened them in a demeaning matter towards their religion.

I believe the media is using this parking dispute as a cover up, it is especially suspicious since at least 6 hours went by before ANY news station started to report on the murder. They are even giving the killers wife camera time to describe how it is not a "hate crime" but If this was the opposite way around there wouldn't be any conversation to have. I've seen a few celebrities chime in as well, bringing more attention to the fact that this is indeed a hate crime.

I know I am coming off as very opinionated on this topic but people still believe that all Muslims are bad, especially with the movie 'American Sniper' basically portraying the killing of Arabs and Muslims as heroic. People don't see a difference and immediately become ignorant to anyone in a hijab.

This is similar to Michael Brown and the Black Lives Matter trend and it just goes to show how much work we really have in moving towards change. I have seen a lot of people try to trend "All Lives Matter" which yes of course is true but they are part of the problem. From what I've seen, white people have been posting that in the hopes of securing themselves along with supporting the cause, but that isn't what we need. We need to focus on the ones being treated with disrespect, especially since whites have never had to deal with these issues. Since I am white myself I haven't experienced this racism, but that is what makes me want to bring attention to it even more! #MuslimLivesMatter

No comments:

Post a Comment